Tips for holding your own Walk4BrainCancer
Can't find a Walk4BrainCancer near you or want to hold your own? It's easy and we've put together some helpful points for you to consider.
- Set a date in October or November – early morning or evening to avoid the heat of day.
- Choose a name for your walk e.g. Walk4BrainCancer Canberra.
- Find a location. We recommend a distance of 5km.
• Do you need to contact local council for approval to use this location?
• Is their public transport or parking options?
- Do you require public liability insurance? Cure Brain Cancer can help you with this.
- Set up a committee of friends and local businesses to assist you and allocate tasks.
• How many volunteers do you need to assist on the day?
- Are there set-up costs you will need to recoup?
• Hire of location; marquees, PA system, BBQ, generator; waste management; food/refreshments.
• Consider drafting a basic budget so you can keep track of income and expenditure
- Ticket sales - we recommend the following registration prices to keep consistent with other walks:
• Adult (16+): $30 Child (under 5 free): $20 Family (2 adults/2 children): $90
• You can add tickets for food too e.g. sausage in a roll + drink etc.
• Consider adding entertainment tickets e.g. jumping castle, all day rides armband
- FOOD IS A GREAT FUNDRAISER! What can you serve? Coffee for early morning, a BBQ, water and soft drinks, and gelato for keeping cool.
• Find out about OHS Food Handling Guidelines in your state/territory.
• Approach local Rotary or Lions Clubs to assist with food service.
• Will local suppliers donate food and drinks so you can raise money from sales?
- MAKE IT FUN! Will local bands, entertainers or schools perform?
- KEEP THE KIDS HAPPY! Choose a shady spot and offer face-painting or hire a petting zoo or jumping castle. Ask for a gold coin donation for entry or pre-sell tickets online.
- FINALLY, don’t forget to register your walk here and we’ll send you a link once we've put it online.
- DON'T FORGET to register to walk and set up a fundraising team, follow the prompts and invite friends and family to join your team and walk and fundraise with you.
- You can tailor this W4BC poster to your walk too (download either in Word or PDF) and ask local businesses to display it for you.
- TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS! You can never have too many photos of the hard work you put into organising your walk. Be sure everyone has given consent for public use if you decide to share these with Cure Brain Cancer Foundation.
We’re here to help you have fun and enjoy Walk4BrainCancer. On behalf of all people living with brain cancer we are grateful for your support.
Do you have any questions about holding your own Walk4BrainCancer? We're here to help so contact us on 02 9550 5244 or 1300 362 965 or email email@example.com